Goat number one

Goat number one
It's Exclaim!

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sunday, October 3rd

So Saturday morning we are racing to get everything ready enough to house the goats.  No fence yet, but we figure we can keep them in their stall for a few days while we get that done.  Cheryle and Wyl showed up while I was downstairs looking for some drill bits.  We cleaned up the area real quick and while I was throwing shavings around, Vic went out to help unload our new little charges.  And little they are!  I had forgotten how small they were and when Vic walked into the shed with the first one I was stunned.  They really are tiny.  They maybe come half way up to the door handle.  Our neighbor Dave and his son Gavin pulled in as we were getting our instructions and Gavin got a lesson on goat handling.  We spent the next four hours fussing with Exclaim, Hurdy Gurdy, Trista, Hot Cocoa, Martini and Pim.  I had forgotten how much I love the sound of contented critters munching!  Cocoa took a running leap at the partition wall, much to our surprise, four feet may not cut it.  She almost made it!

Sunday has been all about fence posts.  I am not twenty years old anymore and digging post holes is a young man's job for sure.  Our pen is set into the pines along the driveway and the ground is rooty, rocky and loaded with clay.  The more we dig, the smaller the dimensions of the pen are getting!  We've finished today with four posts set and four more to dig.  I hope by Thursday or Friday we'll be able to let the girls out in their new yard.  In the meantime, they're living a life of leisure in their new house, with fresh shavings and all the hay they want.  I'm a little concerned about Hurdy Gurdy, she has a case of diarrhea which I'm sure is due to nerves, but I'm keeping an eye on her.  (Gross!)  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Mary they are adorable!!! LOVE the blog, PLEASE keep blogging! Can't wait to see them all next summer, and of course you and Vic too. ;)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather! I will keep blogging for sure, this is quite an adventure we're on. I'll make sure to post lots of pictures too, so the girls can get to know them.

    Hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete