Goat number one

Goat number one
It's Exclaim!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

My First Milking Lesson

This morning I drove down to Cape Neddick to get my first milking lesson from Cheryle.  What fun!  It was a beautiful morning and she is a fabulous teacher.  She very patiently took me through the process of shaving the udder, then cleaning and drying it.  The girls stood like angels on the stand while she showed me her milking technique.  After watching for awhile, I took the seat and gave it a whirl.  IT IS NOT AS EASY AS IT LOOKS.  After milking three or four does, I started to get the hang of it, but not before I covered my coat, my pants, the milking stand and the floor with streams of milk.  Mind you, I didn't actually completely milk three or four does, I squished and squirted along until Cheryle suggested I let her finish for me.  :-)

There was a doe there that had given birth to two little bucklings last Friday.  These little guys, two days old, were about the size of a 20 ounce bottle of soda with legs and a head.  It just doesn't get any sweeter than that.  I could have stood there and watched them for days.

Next Sunday the adventure continues as I head over to Maries to learn about disbudding.  Should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment